Tuesday, October 27, 2009


The Fashion Collective

I have no idea why but at the first fashion show I've attended, the Fashion Collective, I was expecting it to be like America's Next Top Model with Tyra and Miss J sitting in the front row. Weird I know, but I guess that's my only reference of any fashion show. The Fashion Collective presented the designs of Emily Ryan, Fuchsia Lin, Idom, and Liza Rietz, all local designers in Portland, at the Armory, the building right across the Art Institute of Portland. I was surprised to see that the vibe was a little mellow. I was expecting the models to be walking out fiercely but their walks were slow and exaggerated. However their walks were, most of the designs were simply gorgeous. Their inspiration stemmed from Thailand, Paris, New York, the 1920s, and theater. Liza Rietz's designs in particular stood out to me. I know this word is overused, but her designs were truly chic. Her colors ranged from blacks, greys, and purples and she made small details like the sleeves and collars stand out from the rest. Rietz's designs obviously stemmed from Paris and Thailand in the way that they were so beautifully made and effortless. My first fashion show was pretty amazing.

---Michelle Batol

No comments:

Post a Comment